HEALTHY FOOD FOR HEALTHY EYES
Eating healthy is good for your life, well-being and especially your eyes. Did you know that
there is more to eye nutrition than just eating carrots? There are a lot foods in the world that can boost your eye health and help protect against sight-threatening diseases. To maintain your eye health including the following in your diet;
1. Fish – Cold water fish such as salmon, tuna, sardines and mackerel are rich in omega-3 fatty
acids. If you don’t eat seafood, you can get a good supply of omega-3s by using fish oil
2. Colorful Fruits and Vegetables- Foods such as carrots, tomatoes, bell peppers, strawberries, pumpkin, corn and cantaloupe are excellent sources of vitamins A and C.
3. Leafy Greens- Spinach, kale and other greens are full of lutein and zeaxanthin. Broccoli peas and avocados are also good sources of this powerful antioxidant
4. Eggs- The vitamins and nutrients in eggs, including lutein and vitamin A promote eye health and function.
5. Nuts and legumes-Nuts are also rich in omega-3 fatty acids.
6. Beef- Beef is rich in zinc, which has been linked to better long-term eye health. Zinc can help delay age-related sight loss and macular degeneration.
7. Carrots-Carrots are rich in both Vitamin A and beta carotene.
8. Sweet Potatoes- Like carrots, sweet potatoes are rich in beta carotene. They are also a good source of the antioxidant vitamin E.
9. Tomatoes- Tomatoes are packed with carotenoids, including lycopene. Research shows that the lycopene present in ocular tissues helps prevent light-induced damage to the retina and other areas of the eye.
10. Olive Oil- Several studies suggest that a Mediterranean-style diet (fish, plant-based foods, and healthy fats) is recommended for healthy vision. Olive Oil is filled with anti-oxidant properties that boost eye health!
Check out these websites for eye-health promoting recipes for the whole family to enjoy!
Some of our favorite delicious recipes: